The team at Semetrical recently compiled a digital insights report into the wine industry, conducting in depth keyword research and search trend analysis to uncover the following:
- Are consumers searching differently during lockdown?
- Are new trends emerging that retailers need to take notice of?
- How do consumers search?
- Are there any particular regions or niche wine types that are growing in popularity that retailers can take advantage of?
- Which retailers perform best and who are the wine winners and losers online?
- Where is the opportunity and what can retailers do to ensure they are visible and competitive in the search results?
Key findings include:
- There has been a significant spike in wine delivery keywords since the beginning of March, e.g. searches for ‘online wine delivery’ were up by 3000%, and ‘order wine online’ up by 2500%
Searches by grape variety
- The majority of consumers still search by grape variety and origin, e.g. ‘Sauvignon Blanc’ or ‘Italian wine’
- The UK’s most-searched for wine varieties are Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio, however lesser-known grape varieties including Viognie and Tempranillo still generate thousands of average searches per month.
Searches by wine origin
- Italian and French wine are the most searched for wine varieties by UK consumers
- In March we saw a significant spike in searches for English wine, both on the night that it was announced that pubs and bars must close, and a week later into lockdown, suggesting this could be a trend that’s set to grow
- Unusually, German wine generates 1900 average searches a month, which suggests that retailers should keep a close eye on this wine variety as a growing opportunity for sales
Searches by wine features
- Searches for ‘vegan wine’ have grown steadily over the past 5 years, which suggests this is a trend that’s here to stay
- There has also been gradual increase in searches for ‘non alcoholic wine’ over the past 5 years, particularly around Christmas time
Wine winners & losers
- The retailer that performs best in terms of online visibility for wine related search terms and queries is Majestic, followed by Waitrose Cellar
- Since October 2019, a number of retailers have seen significant uplifts in visibility, most notably Virgin Wines and Laithwaites
- Out of the major supermarkets in the UK, the two top contenders in the wine category are Aldi and Tesco.
Want to know more? Download the full report to discover:
- How to use these insights to adapt your SEO strategy in response to emerging trends and changing consumer demands
- Where competitors are under-performing, and for which keyword type, e.g. region, variety, feature and how you can fill this gap
- Which niche keyword segments offer the biggest opportunities for growth
- SEO strategies you can deploy to boost your online presence and drive more sales
Register your interest here.